Sunday, October 23, 2005

Hello from Mali

Quick hello to any who may read because I have 10 minutes left on a very slow internet conection. I am very hot. We are the unversal "toubab" here- purchasers of trinkets at inflated rates and purveyors of "bics" to small children. I had forgotten what it's like to be so conspicuous. We paid an immam to let us into his mosque- entirely made of mud and straw. bulging arches like I've never seen before. Our guide and I argued the merits of polygamous marriage. Best mutton in peanut sauce I've ever had. Good times.
Take care. Maybe I'll bring you back something, if you're lucky. Until then I remain your ever-so-red-sand covered (yeah, you know you want me)

Noisette

5 Comments:

At 6:34 AM, Blogger St. Dickeybird said...

So were you FOR or AGAINST polygamous marriage?
;)

 
At 7:11 AM, Blogger Lizzie said...

I know SD was kidding but I was going to ask the same thing. I always thought it was a black and white issue until I read something a while ago by Ester Boserup (the title eludes me). Anyways, very jealous! (about the trip, not the argument) Blogging from Mali- you're living the dream, man.

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger St. Dickeybird said...

Well, half kidding. She is cute...
:)

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Heather B. said...

ahhhh I'm so jealous.

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger Noisette said...

Esther Boserup! I think I quoted her in my master's thesis years ago. Re: polygamy debate... I'll blog on that soon. Got in late last night and dragged my sorry ass into work this morning and am generally delirious. Pray no one asks me to perform any mental gymnastics today. Talk to you all soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home