Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Trouble meeting your quotas? Try this!

I found this ad particularly disturbing:

http://www.clk4.com/NGD_10359/index.cgi

Check out the cool kids listening to headphones. Remember when the Army had... Army-themed advertisements?

I also enjoy the last bullet point:

  • plus free music!!!

Seriously, good luck with this, Army National Guard. It's a clever gimmick; still, one wonders how successful you'll be- tempting as the free music downloads are, I'm not sure I'd want to get my crap blown out of me in exchange. I mean, I'm just sayin.

Remember, "it's called serving your community while working part time." As though it's just a step away from working at Starbucks or something. Fascinating.

PS: "I also understand that I will be contacted by a recruiter, and that's OK with me!"- HA!

PPS: Aren't iTunes downloads, like, 99c a song? So someone responding to this ad would subject themselves to harassment by an army recruiter for the equivalent of less than $3? Good god! Not only is the army's choice of ad campaigns amusing at best, they're insufferably cheap!


Sign me up!!!!

4 Comments:

At 4:58 PM, Blogger Lizzie said...

That ad would be hilarious if it wasn't so pathetic. So this is what our foreign polivy has brought us to. The strongest country in the world is reduced to begging people to join the reserves by offering 3 songs?! Don't you get a free iTunes song every time you try on a pair of jeans at the Gap? Hmm, do I feel like trying on a few pairs of jeans or getting a limb blown off fighting an unjust war? I'm going to sleep on that one.

 
At 2:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The music is offered so that you won't hear the bomb bits tearing through your inadequately armoured truck...
~HDJ

 
At 6:19 AM, Blogger St. Dickeybird said...

And those people that get harassed for the $3 of downloads are the ones who will be defending your country!
Hopefully they at least chose faster songs, so their energy will be up.
Imagine a gunfight after listening to newer Rod Stewart or something...
zzzzzzzzz

 
At 12:01 AM, Blogger The Daily Rant said...

Since recruiting numbers are desperately low, I guess they will do just about anything to get young men and women to join.

Unfortunately, recruiters seem to be persuasive and love to lie -I read a great article about Marine recruiting in Vanity Fair recently - to get who they need to fight wars. Wars that most members of this administration start, and because they have no military service themselves, have no idea what they are sending these kids into.

But then again, much of the military is made up of people who these offers appeal to - people who can't afford tuition themselves, can't afford to pay back student loans and can really use a 10K "bonus" for enlisting. What's 4 years of my life and the possibility of facing death for a few more barrels of oil?

Oh, and lets not forget the free music.

I'm glad I don't have a child who I have to explain why this isn't a good idea to.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home