Thursday, January 13, 2005

Mommies? Good lord.

Maureen Dowd's op-ed today made me realize how FUCKING lucky I am to have a husband who has always loved me because I am irascible, witty, and damn smart (as is he, of course, but more to the point-)- who are all these men? I went to a funny little college with fewer men than women, such that the men, or the straight ones anyway, had to adapt or cut out- because of the demographics, it was harder for women to get into the school than men, meaning that generally, we were smarter. And hot. So they dealt, and loved us. At law school, the men were tools and I paid little attention to them as sexual beings. Here at Superfirm, they're more or less older versions of their toolish law school counterparts.
What else in my realm of experience? In France, they were at once more appreciative and 20 years behind us in women's rights (I'll tell you my sexual harassment story some other time). They LOVED smart women, but it was understood (by everyone but me) that eventually, you as the wife should leave your clever career behind and concentrate on childbirth and the preparation of long Sunday lunches.
I have officially over-generalized in every one of the above categories. But you get the idea. At any rate, my husband is my counterpart, my partner in crime, my equal in everything. Something of a sapphire in the rough, apparently.

3 Comments:

At 4:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why sapphire in the rough?

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger St. Dickeybird said...

Male lawyers are tools? I couldn't agree more.
I've worked for a few larger firms, and noticed how inept they are. I was 'office services' and had more social grace than most of the men.

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger Noisette said...

It's amazing how they live up to the stereotype, isn't it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home