Thursday, January 12, 2006

La grippe

Ill. Ill ill. Illin'. Came to work today- why? Am thinking about quitting the blog. No, that's not a reason for everyone to try and convince me otherwise, but I've stopped feeling as though it serves any constructive purpose re: channeling my anger. If I lived in DC, if I had some sort of "in," I'd love to make this a political blog. I live on the other side of the country, though, and so my political commentary consists of my regurgitating snippets of news articles and entries from bloggers who REALLY know what they're talking about. And otherwise? I could make it a "what's wrong with Stephanie Klein" blog, but... yawn, really. Right? Right. Besides, I'm tired of being mean. Even if I'm right when I'm mean, I'm just fatigued by the whole enterprise. I'm not funny enough consistently enough to make it a "humor" blog. I could do a "slice of life" blog, but there's not enough in my life at the moment that merits any slicing. Work is... fine. Married life is good. Friends are far away, but that's the beauty of email. I lived my exciting bohemian life about 5 years ago. I want to write about that, but it's too painful and frankly, I'm not talented enough of a writer to do those times any justice.

So I think that's it. I may change my mind, when I have a mind and not a seething, aching flu-ey brain, but I doubt it.

8 Comments:

At 2:55 PM, Blogger wstachour said...

Not to be trite, but I wonder if many of us do not struggle with the cost / benefit of blogging. I think about killing mine off all the time.

And I suppose this is because there are no real rules (apart from, maybe, the basic rules of good writing) as to what makes a blog good or worthwhile (or even rules defining very clearly what a blog even is). It's really a question of whether it gives back to you enough to warrant the effort.

I have kept a diary for years, and finally decided that it would be a fun exercise to write stuff for someone else's consumption. There are then things that I can't write about, but it's outweighed (slightly. maybe) by having the occasional commentary from others on what I've written.

Does the writing itself give you no pleasure? Or the company of the community, such as it is? Or is it mostly a protest vehicle for you? I'm always happy to read your posts, which tend to be much more incisive and intelligent than most, and especially than what I would have to say on the same topics.

But I appreciate that the blog shouldn't weigh you down.

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

ah. I think you may be skilled enough to write about your Bohemian life. I think I read a little about it.

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Noisette said...

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I think I'm going to take a hiatus and come back in a few weeks and then decide whether to continue or scrap it. Thing is, I feel like this blog, rather than being a place where I can discuss issues I care about, get down on paper (computer screen?) these weird years I keep alluding to, vent legitimate grievances, and get feedback on these things while practicing my writing, has turned into a liability- I whine a lot, snark a lot, and don't say much of value- I don't really like this aspect of me (excuse me if this doesn't make sense- I'm still sick and not really coherent). And I find I'm not able to craft interesting, well-written entries on a daily basis, or even weekly (one thing about Stephanie Klein, love her or hate her, she does manage to post consistent product more or less daily). And then I stress about it. You two write interesting, clever, original stuff on your blogs all the time- me, not so much (I feel like, anyway).
At any rate, I'll take the next week or so and see.
I'm a bit of a downer these days, sorry.

 
At 8:45 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

oh wow,I didn't think I wrote interesting stuff every day. But, I do think interesting is in the eye of the beholder. As you say, look at Klein and how many people find her fascinating. That should tell you how much being interesting is in the eye of the beholder, right? So keep writing -- and the more you write the more it will flow.

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger St. Dickeybird said...

Well, at least it served A purpose.
You spoke your mind, educated a few people, educated yourself from them.
These things don't have a defined lifespan - turn away, relax, and one day you might want to do it again.

And thanks for the good reads.
:)

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Lizzie said...

For my own selfish reasons, I hope you don't quit it. But ultimately, you should do whatever makes you happy (obviously). If you don't feel like it's adding anything of value, or worse, bringing out a side of you don't like, then it isn't worth it. I got really sucked into mine and when I spent a week away from it, I realized that it had brought out a different side of me too. Whatever you decide, all the best!

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Lizzie said...

p.s. j'espere que tu te sens mieux!

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger Noisette said...

Thanks, Lizzie. I can't wait to read about Haiti (although I hear you- it's hard to boil an experience like that down to a blog entry)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home