Monday, November 21, 2005

Cutting/Pasting: The Return

No time, no time but heard the below on NPR this morning and was struck by how eloquently Penn Jillette (yes, the magician) summed up similar thoughts to mine on god, or lack thereof:

"I believe that there is no God. I'm beyond Atheism. Atheism is not believing in God. Not believing in God is easy -- you can't prove a negative, so there's no work to do. You can't prove that there isn't an elephant inside the trunk of my car. You sure? How about now? Maybe he was just hiding before. Check again. Did I mention that my personal heartfelt definition of the word "elephant" includes mystery, order, goodness, love and a spare tire? ...

Believing there is no God means the suffering I've seen in my family, and indeed all the suffering in the world, isn't caused by an omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent force that isn't bothered to help or is just testing us, but rather something we all may be able to help others with in the future. No God means the possibility of less suffering in the future.

Believing there is no God gives me more room for belief in family, people, love, truth, beauty, sex, Jell-o and all the other things I can prove and that make this life the best life I will ever have."
-- From "This I Believe," on NPR's Morning Edition

PS- I have so very much to tell you. Maybe there will be time tonight.
PPS- I passed the California Bar Exam.
PPPS- Dick Cheney is the essence of all that is very, very, very not good.

5 Comments:

At 2:32 PM, Blogger wstachour said...

Believing there is no god explains Dick Cheney.

Many congrats on passing the bar!

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger Noisette said...

Indeed. It also gives us hope that he is not the embodiment of a vengeful deity's wrath but rather just an asshole who we can (hopefully, eventually) stop.

Anyway, thanks!

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger Lizzie said...

who knew Penn was so eloquent? and congrats on passing the bar!

I saw Dick Cheney leaving his house the other morning. He looked remarkably unfazed by being so evil.

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Heather B. said...

ahh Congrats on the Bar exam!

I used to live down the street from Dick Cheney and everytime I went passed I would wonder what life was like in the house of the evil spawn of satan.

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger Noisette said...

He's a study in the banality of evil. Seriously.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home