Friday, August 19, 2005

A few thoughts...

1. Midwest, I praise both your blog and Legs Akimbo, proverbial diamonds in the rough.

2. I mean that as a true compliment even though I have a diamond thing- it's one of my causes and involves severed limbs, rebel money laundering, mine shaft unpleasantness and (depending on whom you believe) Osama bin Laden. These days one can obtain "conflict-free" diamonds (and should) but I don't want to support any facet (wow! I'm talking about diamonds and I used the word "facet"! Hot damn I can write) of the opaque (not bad either- I'm on a roll) diamond cartel so my engagement and wedding rings are sapphires.

3. With reference to the diamond thing mentioned in thought #2, let's talk Kanye West's new single. What's up with that? So much potential squandered!!! I was giddy when I heard the title - I love Kanye, and this seemed like a perfect mountain for him to climb- but then the lyrics are all about how he didn't win anything at the American Music Awards or something. And how other rappers talk trash about him. Or something. Kanye- am I not bright enough to follow your point, or are you honestly comparing your plight to that of the victims of the Sierra Leone civil war? Answer me, damnit!

4. The man did get "Jesus Walks" on the radio. I'm just sayin.

5. I'm off to Clevetown this weekend to attend a Sunday night wedding. Sigh. The burg of my youth really only makes me depressed and uncomfortable. Does anyone else feel this when they return home? Cleveburg. Land of Cleves. You bring me down.

2 Comments:

At 11:11 AM, Blogger Lizzie said...

Just curious- did you see the cover story on Kanye in Time?

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger Noisette said...

I actually saw that but haven't read it. Lately everyone (Spin, Entertainment Weekly- not that that's everyone but it's what we have around the house) has been saying that he's getting a little too fond of himself and that his latest album doesn't measure up to his first. I haven't heard the rest of the album but I wasn't very impressed with the "Diamonds" single.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home