Wednesday, March 16, 2005

They're changing the guard at Buckingham Palace

Christopher Robin went down with Alice.
Alice is marrying one of the Guard.
"A soldier's life is terribly hard,"
said Alice.

In a few weeks I'll be out of a job, out of an apartment. It's ok, but kind of loose-footed in a way that makes me nervous.
Superfirm doesn't want to transfer me to their LA office. They say it's a numbers issue, but I think it might be that they don't really like me.
I realize of late that my blog has degenerated into trite nonsense. So here's some political analysis in 30 seconds or less:
New bankruptcy law: rubbish.
Social Security reform: crap, but it's not going to happen.
Systematic looting after the fall of Baghdad: may bolster the original argument that Saddam had WMD, but makes us look uber-silly for not guarding obvious weapons warehouses. So a draw, really.
Administrative agencies producing fake "news reports" and local news shows airing them without crediting the government: Ummm... Big Brother, anyone? Superplusnogood.
Democracy in the Middle East: Don't get your hopes up. Lebanon has more experience with parliamentary-style government than most middle eastern countries; even so, there were as many pro-Syrian demonstrators as there were anti. So shut up, Economist.

Can't think of any more current events. But because I don't want to do my work, here are some "Best of" superlatives for your reading pleasure:

Best tea: Earl Grey
Best vegetable: snowpea
Best nut: walnut (although I can't digest them)
Best Asian cuisine: Vietnamese
Best Salman Rushdie book: Midnight's Children
Best supermarket aisle: dry goods/soup/canned veggies
Best city in Europe: Amsterdam
Best dirty expression in French: Ca me bourre le cul
Best stupid TV show: The OC (oh yeah, baby)
Best clever TV show: Arrested Development
Best political satire TV show: obviously, the Daily Show (although I do admit to liking Bill Maher)
Best edible raw flesh: steak tartare
Best red wine-making province: Chateauneuf du Pape (I know, but it's true)
Best fondue: Chinese
Best (hottest) American mayor: the Mayor of San Francisco (can't think of his name)
Best (hottest) prime minister of any country: Jose-Luis Rodriguez Zapatero (smokin red hot)
Best national flag: Brazil's (what is that random blue planet? it's so wacky).
Best Merchant/Ivory movie: A Room with a View
Best Hitchcock movie: Notorious
Best Monty Python movie: The Meaning of Life


I'll add to this as I think of more.

3 Comments:

At 8:40 AM, Blogger St. Dickeybird said...

"SuperplusUNgood".
-sorry, huge Orwell fan.

And I'm sure a lawyer can find work in California. It just may not be corporate.

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Noisette said...

Nice catch. I liked your pics on your blog today. Yeah- but I'm thinking maybe I should become a movie star instead.

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger Noisette said...

Yeah, I'm not sure what the exact news item was. Not al-qaqa, something more recent. Something like- right after the fall of Baghdad, warehouses were systematically looted in a way that now makes us think that Saddam and the Baathists planned it before the fall. So it could be that they managed to secret weapons to Syria or whatever in the chaos right after the fall and thus might have had the elusive WMD in some quantity- but we're still morons b/c we KNEW that these warehouses contained suspicious stuff but our limited forces were overwhelmed and we couldn't afford to post troops to guard them. So much for Rumsfeld's streamlined fighting elite. I think that's what it was. I'm working on 2hrs sleep right now, so I apologize if this wasn't coherent.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home