Thursday, February 03, 2005

State of the office inhabitant #5639

Ah, SuperFirm. What a hold you have on my soul. How shamelessly you exploit the type-A personalities of your attorney-ettes.
I got very little done today and I'll tell you why. I had to look at an old friend's engagement announcement webpage. I had to read every piece of news out there about how this social security reform proposal is absolute insane nonsense. I had to contemplate writing a blog post about said social security reform proposal and ultimately decide against it. I had to search www.guidesdecharme.com for umm... charme. I had to read blogs that I have treated critically in earlier noisette posts and make slightly snide remarks on their comment pages. I had to read the bloggers' responses to said slightly snide remarks and comment further and even less pleasantly. These were all imperatives.
But now, I have to BILL MY TIME. Those of you (of the vast universe of people who read what I have to say) who have not worked in a law firm or other client-driven industry might not understand this, but for us it's a way of life. So- what do I say? client/matter number XXXX/X- "Read periodicals while waiting for turn of document." But I wasn't waiting for a turn of document. The document has already been turned, several times, and has finally come to rest on the document management system. Client/matter XXX/X- "worked on non-billable research project." Untrue, but at least no one would have to pay for my lie. How about XXX/X- "personal time?" But I was here. I shouldn't have to say that.
If only Superfirm included among its list of companies to bill and legitimate things to do, client matter XXXXX/X, "I was just fuckin' BORED all day, ok?" But no. Superfirm employees are never bored. We are ALWAYS coming up with something productive to do. We are always earning our keep.
Wish me luck, oh legions of faithful readers. Without a client/matter number that reflects what I was really up to today, I'll have to umm... make the truth sound more palatable. Not so hard, surely. Isn't that what we lawyers are supposed to be so good at?

2 Comments:

At 4:44 AM, Blogger St. Dickeybird said...

How about billing as Corporate Relations. I've worked for 3 firms and still talk to some of my old coworkers. I'll tell them about you.
Contact with firms in other nations could be a good business move.

;)

 
At 7:33 AM, Blogger Noisette said...

Ah Dickeybird, you are my "legions of readers." I like the idea of cross-border legal relations. I'll have to see if there's a client matter number that fits.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home