Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Ho-hum

I realized that I haven’t posted on Noisette for some time, and after a bit of soul-searching I’ve come to understand the reason why, which in the spirit of humility I will share with you. I’ve been avoiding posting my semi-regular rants because I’m supposed to have a debate with some conservative dude and truth to tell, I just don’t feel like it. Even though I proposed it in the first place (although I never set a time, in my defense). I feel a bit like Aaron Burr walking away from a duel.
I hardly ever shy away from a fight, especially one where I think the odds are on me. don’t know anything about this guy, other than that he has a blog on which he posts rather extreme conservative invective. I’m sure he’s lovely. I’m sure he’s bright. (Honestly, I’m not even sure he’s a dude, but I’m gonna give myself a pass on that one.) But I’ve taken on some very, very, very, VERY illustrious (or, with regard to the last "very," notorious) conservatives, and while I haven’t won, I’ve held my own against each. To the point where I became their go-to woman on intelligent liberal thought. Point being, I couldn’t drag them over to my side, but I debated well enough and was informed enough to keep their interest and keep them coming back for more. Now, this is not to say that my potential opponent is not every bit as illustrious as the “very”s above. He may be. But if this were the track, or the stock market, or the superbowl, my money would be on that horse/blue chip/AFC Champion named Noisette.
And generally, I think civil debate between two people on opposite sides of the political spectrum is healthy and good, both for the participants and the observers. I used to relish, and still (usually) do, healthy political debate with the men above because it kept me sharp in my liberal ideals.
Not these days, though. These days I’m just tired. I do my work and I go home and I watch TV and I go to bed. Perhaps this means my best days are behind me, from a liberal-defense perspective. I don’t think so, though- I rather think that this is just a hiatus.
So, to the conservative dude who hoped to debate me, I apologize. It might have been fun. But I just don’t have the constitution or resolution for it right now. Take care, and be well.

3 Comments:

At 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i understand your reluctance to engage mr. opponent. debating politics is exhausting and frustrating and when two sides are so far apart, which you seem to be, maybe there's no point. he can read your blog just like everyone else and maybe what you say will influence him, maybe not. you don't need to defend your decision and don't let him keep you from blogging! ;)

 
At 3:10 PM, Blogger sp said...

See "Without Firing a Shot"

SP

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger Michael said...

Hmmm. The Insurgent was right, this is compelling stuff. I'd add an observation on perception: don't defend against the other side. Attack. Always remember that we are the majority of Americans, and frankly, we're also the side that produces actual ideas worth debating.

:-), StS

 

Post a Comment

<< Home